Nayaa Martinique and her family took the eight-hour drive from Indianapolis to Atlanta so the college freshman could start her journey as a Spelman woman.
“I was just excited to move in and go to college,” Nayaa told Fox 59.
But once they arrived, they were informed that Nayaa wasn’t financially eligible to start school.
According to the news station, the family believed that one of the many loans the teen had already taken out to pay for her schooling included room and board. However, when they arrived on campus they learned that Nayaa still needed to pay for her room. Nayaa, who was already maxed-out on loans, was unable to apply for another.
“When we got to Spelman, that is when I became aware of this outstanding balance that was stopping me from being able to take out a loan for her,” Nayaa’s mom, Tjai Downs told Fox 59.
According to Fox 59, Downs, who is a teacher and veteran. She said that in 2008 she’d taken out student loans for her education, but was unaware that they were negatively affecting her credit because she’d never received notifications about the loans. She attributes the entire mess to a change in address and believes that the loan paperwork was being sent to an old address.
“This is a small thing that happened so many years ago but has reared its ugly head and I think a tweak in my own organization skills would have helped prevent this situation,” said Downs.
Nayaa and her family are scrambling to raise the money by August 15, the school’s deadline, so that the college freshman doesn’t have to miss any schooling.
If you are interested in helping the family, here is a link to their GoFundme page.
Celebrities Who Attended HBCUs
1. Lance Gross - HowardSource:ATLPics.Net 1 of 30
2. Spike Lee - Morehouse CollegeSource:Courtesy Netflix 2 of 30
3. Diddy - Howard UniversitySource:ATLPics.Net 3 of 30
4. LaLa - Howard UniversitySource:FreddyO.com 4 of 30
5. Erykah Badu -Grambling State UniversitySource:ATLPics.Net 5 of 30
6. Common - Florida A&M UniversitySource:Getty 6 of 30
7. Eva Marcille - Clark Atlanta UniversitySource:Getty 7 of 30
8. Director Debbie Allen (L) and sister actress Phylicia Rashad - Howard UniversitySource:Getty 8 of 30
9. Wanda Sykes - Hampton UniversitySource:Getty 9 of 30
10. Anika Noni Rose - FAMUSource:Getty 10 of 30
11. David Banner - Southern UniversitySource:Getty 11 of 30
12. Yolanda Adams - TSUSource:@arturoholmesphotos 12 of 30
13. Lionel Richie (Left) - Tuskegee UniversitySource:Getty 13 of 30
14. Gladys Knight - Shaw UniversitySource:Getty 14 of 30
15. Keenan Ivory Wayans - Tuskegee UniversitySource:Getty 15 of 30
16. Rick Ross - Albany State UniversitySource:Getty 16 of 30
17. Toni Braxton - Bowie State UniversitySource:Victoria 17 of 30
18. Wale - Bowie State UniversitySource:Radio One Digital 18 of 30
19. Jerry Rice - Mississippi Valley State UniversitySource:Getty 19 of 30
20. Kym Whitley - Fisk UniversitySource:Kym Whitley 20 of 30
21. Keshia Knight Pullium - SpelmanSource:ATT 21 of 30
22. Michael Strahan - TSUSource:Women's Empowerment 2018 22 of 30
23. K. Michelle - FAMUSource:@PhotosByBeanz 23 of 30
24. Terrence J - North Carolina A&T University.24 of 30
25. Ruben Studdard25 of 30
26. Kamala Harris - Howard UniversitySource:AP Photo/Andrew Harnik 26 of 30
27. Oprah Winfrey - Tennessee State UniversitySource:FreddyO.com 27 of 30
28. Anthony Anderson - Howard UniversitySource:Getty 28 of 30
29. Samuel L Jackson - Morehouse CollegeSource:(Photo by Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic) 29 of 30
30. Tom Joyner - TuskegeeSource:Radio 1 Digital - Charlotte 30 of 30
READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER:
Mom’s Decade-Old Student Loan Debt Prevents Daughter From Enrolling In Spellman College was originally published on blackamericaweb.com