A police stop involving two Black college students could have turned deadly in New Jersey on Monday (Oct. 1). Cops pulled guns on the Rowan University students and placed them in handcuffs, a viral video revealed.
The shocking incident happened after police received a report of a gunman on the campus of the New Jersey university, WCAU reported. Glassboro, New Jersey police later released the students, who were unarmed, and realized their mistake. However, the situation was extremely alarming for the Rowan community.
A town hall meeting is scheduled to discuss the incident on Friday (Oct. 5).
Glassboro police officers explained why they stopped the students, saying they identified a vehicle that they believed belonged to a person who was reportedly armed, Rowan University officials said. The university released a detailed statement about the incident. “Being that it was believed that one of the occupants of the vehicle had a gun, police followed procedures and drew their weapons until all the occupants exited the vehicle and were searched,” a university spokesperson said.
The students were identified as Altaif Hassan, a senior from Trenton, New Jersey, and Giovanna Roberson, a freshman from Cherry Hill, New Jersey.
Hassan stepped out of the vehicle, raised his hands and walked backwards toward the patrol car. Officers aimed their weapons at the student before bringing out handcuffs. Cops then demanded that Roberson exit the car and restrained her as well. After searching the students, police let them go.
The incident sheds light on the many other police stops that disproportionally happen to people of color who are unarmed and wrongfully confronted.
Happy Birthday, Al Sharpton! Iconic Photos Of The Good Reverend Fighting For Black Lives
1. Happy birthday!
Source:false 1 of 21
Happy BDY @TheRevAl! Preaching since 4, ordained a few years later, ran a youth group by his teens, ran for Mayor, Senate, President & has successfully led over 110 chapters of @NationalAction all while hosting his own natl tv show & 3 radio shows! Blessed & honored 2 work w/him! pic.twitter.com/isabo5iBIX— Rachel (@rachelnoerd) October 3, 2018
2. 'Justice For All' civil rights marchSource:WENN 2 of 21
3. New York City's Central Park Jogger TrialSource:Getty 3 of 21
4. Sharpton with families of Michael Brown and Eric GarnerSource:WENN 4 of 21
5. THE DIALLO CASE TRIALSource:Getty 5 of 21
6. Interfaith Ministers' March For JusticeSource:Getty 6 of 21
7. Trayvon Martin rallySource:WENN 7 of 21
8. Operation Black VoteSource:Getty 8 of 21
9. Sharpton And Eric Garner's FamilySource:Getty 9 of 21
10. Martin Luther King Day : A Freedom MarchSource:Getty 10 of 21
11. We Stand United NYC RallySource:Getty 11 of 21
12. Sharpton and "Central Park 5" victimSource:Getty 12 of 21
13. Sharpton with ObamaSource:Getty 13 of 21
14. Sharpton and Meek MillSource:Getty 14 of 21
15. 48th Annual Congressional Black Caucus Foundation ConferenceSource:Getty 15 of 21
16. Aretha Franklin's FuneralSource:Getty 16 of 21
17. National Action Network 25th Anniversary ConventionSource:WENN 17 of 21
18. Interfaith Clergy Visit Texas Detention CenterSource:Getty 18 of 21
19. 50th anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.Source:Getty 19 of 21
20. Stephon Clark's FuneralSource:Getty 20 of 21
21. Reform: Bringing Injustice To LightSource:Getty 21 of 21
Video Shows Cops Aim Guns At Two Black College Students In New Jersey was originally published on newsone.com