A huge job vacancy remains unfilled at the Baltimore Police Department—as the city’s crime problem appears to be spiraling out of control. Baltimore has been searching for several months for the right person to take on the challenge of leading the police force.
Baltimore’s homicide rate is at a record level—higher than Chicago’s and Detroit’s. The city recorded 342 homicides in 2017. At the same time, the police force is struggling to fix serious problems stemming from its long history of corruption and systemic racial bias against Black residents, detailed in a scathing 2016 Justice Department report.
“You’ve heard about the war on drugs. There is a drug war. People are protecting their territories with guns,” Pugh said, explaining what was behind the 11 shootings on Tuesday that resulted in three deaths.
During the press conference, the mayor didn’t offer a clue about her timeline for appointing a permanent police commissioner.
The police commissioner’s office has been a revolving door all year. In January, Police Commissioner Kevin Davis was fired and replaced by Darryl De Sousa. However, De Sousa stepped down in May after being charged with a federal tax offense. Interim Police Commissioner Gary Tuggle, who served as one of De Sousa’s top deputies, withdrew his application on Oct. 9 to become the permanent commissioner.
Baltimore has had 10 police commissioners since 1989. There are now reportedly more than 50 applicants for the post. No doubt, city officials and residents are hoping for stability with the next pick for commissioner.
“I don’t think there is a more challenging police chief job in the country right now. It’s facing a number of challenges: A consent decree, significant crime and issues rebuilding trust,” Chuck Wexler, executive director of the Police Executive Research Forum, told the newspaper.
Videos Of Kanye West In The Oval Office Confirm Just How Deep He Has Sunken
1. Kanye's meeting with Trump
Source: 1 of 17
Kanye West is discussing a variety of topics with Pres. Trump in the Oval Office, including, but not limited to: American manufacturing, mental health awareness, a bipolar disorder diagnosis that another doctor subsequently refuted and a new design for Air Force One. pic.twitter.com/yB7ShiWEFm— CBS Evening News (@CBSEveningNews) October 11, 2018
2. Kanye grandstanding in the Oval OfficeSource:Getty 2 of 17
3. On the MAGA hatSource: 3 of 17
4. President Trump Hosts Kanye West And Former Football Player Jim Brown At The White HouseSource:Getty 4 of 17
5. On loving Donald TrumpSource: 5 of 17
6. US-PEOPLE-politics-RACE-TRUMP-KANYESource:Getty 6 of 17
7. Cursing n the Oval Office
Source: 7 of 17
WATCH: Kanye West curses in the Oval Office while meeting with President Trump pic.twitter.com/XKnfgL9aiy— WPEC CBS12 News (@CBS12) October 11, 2018
8. President Trump Hosts Kanye West And Former Football Player Jim Brown At The White HouseSource:Getty 8 of 17
9. Kanye iPhone security code exposed
Source: 9 of 17
Kanye West has his personal iPhone inside the Oval Office, and his iPhone PIN is 0000. https://t.co/GGWMbM8J0G— Ray [REDACTED] (@RayRedacted) October 11, 2018
10. US-PEOPLE-politics-RACE-TRUMP-KANYESource:Getty 10 of 17
11. Kanye on racismSource: 11 of 17
12. US-PEOPLE-politics-RACE-TRUMP-KANYESource:Getty 12 of 17
13. US-PEOPLE-politics-RACE-TRUMP-KANYESource:Getty 13 of 17
14. US-PEOPLE-politics-RACE-TRUMP-KANYESource:Getty 14 of 17
15. President Trump Hosts Kanye West And Former Football Player Jim Brown At The White HouseSource:Getty 15 of 17
16. US-PEOPLE-politics-RACE-TRUMP-KANYESource:Getty 16 of 17
17. President Trump Hosts Kanye West And Former Football Player Jim Brown At The White HouseSource:Getty 17 of 17
Baltimore Can’t Find A Police Chief As Crime Spirals Out Of Control was originally published on newsone.com